AMA DEI Pledge to Advance Social Justice, Racial Equity and Anti-Racism:
We believe marketing has the power to make a difference. As innovators, strategizers, ambassadors, and storytellers, we shape narratives that communicate value, create meaning, and establish societal norms.
As stewards of the brand and voice of the customer, we have a responsibility to leverage our platform to foster true belonging within our chapters, communities, and society as a whole.
The catalyst of our actions stems from the unjust murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless other lives lost due to police brutality. Our inaction and silence in the past have resulted in hurt, exclusion, and harm in ways that we cannot measure, but we are committed to rectifying this and ensuring that our efforts are sustainable and far-reaching.
Achieving equity among all of our communities is our goal with race being the most challenging obstacle to overcome and the most pervasive part of our history. Collectively, we can tackle the inequities that face many members of our society using the power of marketing to elevate the voices of underrepresented communities of color while celebrating the various differences that make up the complete fabric of our society.
As a chapter of the American Marketing Association and as marketers representing a diverse set of people, industries, and disciplines:
- We commit to recruiting and retaining Black, Brown, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) representation* within our board of directors, leadership teams, volunteers, and membership.
- We commit to increasing Black, Brown, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) representation throughout our products and services, thought leadership, campaigns, programming, and distribution networks.
- We commit to building a pipeline of marketers that reflect the demographics of the populations we serve.
- We commit to partnering with organizations that value and have demonstrated their support to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We commit to further educating ourselves as to the plight of racial and social injustice and will use our platform to facilitate courageous conversations that promote anti-bias and anti-racism within the marketing community.
- We commit to demonstrating how we are progressing toward our commitments to hold ourselves accountable and make continuous improvements.
Together, we will use the power of our collective voices to outline the roles marketers can play in standing for and delivering on inclusion; the ideals, values, and principles that promote equality, respect, and unity.
*Diverse representation includes but is not limited to: race, ethnicity, religious preferences, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, abilities (seen or unseen), socio-economic status, language, and thought.